Friday, June 6, 2008

Nearing My Goal

I've been writing for a good couple of months in anticipation for my first 10K race. Guess what? It is TOMORROW!

I've been doing well for the last month or so with my goal to get in at least 3 runs/week into my crazy life. Today's treadmill session and tomorrow's race will bring me to my goal this week. I haven't been on the treadmill in a few weeks . . . it made me realize how much I've been enjoying my outdoor runs. But, with the rain pouring down and our odd evening schedules of late, my quick 20 minute hamster run was better than no run at all.

I think tomorrow's race will be in the rain (the theme for this year, it seems), but that is just some good incentive to go, go, go! I just hope that my mom can share that same optimism as she runs her FIRST EVER 5K (the 5K is thankfully under a bit more cover because it is a flat trail run with plenty of tree canopies - out and back, whereas the 10K is a road race). Be strong and have fun, Mom!

If you are looking to confirm that there are some amazing, positive-natured folks in this world, I invite you to read about the life work of Trevor Romain, the creative genius behind the Trevor Romain Company. His blog is FILLED with heart-tugging, yet optimistic stories of his life experiences. His books (which I had in my classroom for my 3rd & 4th graders to enjoy) provide comical and reassuring support for kids as they face challenges in their lives: homework, bullies, tests, death, stress, etc. You may recognize his best selling title: How to Do Homework Without Throwing Up. I haven't seen his videos yet, but if they are anything like his books, they are bound to be GREAT. Good stuff, all around! Thanks to MizFit for reminding me of Mr. Romain's work!

Tonight I'll have to decide between reading more of Marathon Woman (Kathrine Switzer's book) or Dreaming the Mississippi (by Katherine Fischer, my writing professor from my freshman year of college). Both are GREAT and will be just the distraction I need on the night before my first race this season.

Off to read with my son . . . such a great thing to do on a rainy day!

8 comments:

E said...

Good luck! You'll do great! I'll be waiting for your race report. :)

Unknown said...

Have fun and best wishes with your 10K!

and...I was happy to hear about the windmills out your way. That's awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear all about your 10k! I hope the rain held off for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sure you had a blast. How was the race. Congrats to your MOM too. How awesome is that---both of you completing firsts, today! I hope you're celebrating, right now.

Anonymous said...

checking in...hope yesterday was FANTASTIC.

(did you email Trevor?)

M.

Marcy said...

Ooooohhh I hope it went well!! Can't wait to see the report!

Erin Leigh said...

Looking forward to reading about your race!!!

Scott McMurtrey said...

hope the race was successful!